Posts Tagged ‘Pete Sampras’
Four US men are in the fourth round of the 2011 US Open men’s tennis tournament:
8 Mardy Fish vs 11 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
21 Andy Roddick vs 5 David Ferrer
28 John Isner vs 12 Gilles Simon
Donald Young vs 4 Andy Murray
Last USA player to win the Open – 2003 Andy Roddick.
Last All USA final – 2002 Pete Sampras def. Andre Agassi.
Last time three USA players in the semifinals – 1996 Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi and Michael Chang.
If you were going to build the perfect tennis player, the forehand seems like a good place to start. It’s safe to say my forehand would not be in the discussion. So who has the greatest forehand of all time?
Here are my choices:
I’m going to say Roger Federer.
• Record 15 Major “Slam” singles titles (14 Pete Sampras).
• Has won all 4 Slams “Grand Slam” (Others to do so: Fred Perry, Don Budge, Rod Laver, Roy Emerson, Andre Agassi).
• No. 1 all-time in prize money.
• 6 Wimbledon singles titles (Sampras has 7).
• Has survived the rise of Nadal, playing during the era of the best clay courter the world has ever seen.
What do you think?