All four of these roles are crucial to doubles success.
• Get a high percentage of first serves in to your opponents weakness.
• Communicate with your partner between points and let him know about your serving thoughts during the game.
• Move into position after a successful serve and look to join your partner at the net.
• The server gets the ball in play, and it’s your job to win the game.
• Put pressure on the returner by moving and taking away the return he’d like to hit.
• Be aggressive and move to keep the returner guessing on where he’ll have a lane to hit to.
• Take advantage of the fact that you get to start at the net, where everyone wants to end up. This means you should have the first “put away ball” of the point. End the point!
• Take care of the server. You are in charge of knowing where the balls are and making sure your partner can focus only on serving.
• Stay positive and keep the server up!
• First and foremost GET THE RETURN IN PLAY!
• After a successful return move into position to take the court advantage.
• Call out serves for your partner so he can focus on returning.
• Be in charge of the court. Call a let when you see a ball interfering, clean up balls in the net, again making sure your partner can focus on the return.
• Look for a ball you can poach, or move forward on after a successful return by your partner.
• Stay light on your feet and be ready to quickly defend against a poor return by your partner.